Thursday 4 September 2014

Ten Book Challenge

Thank you to Alan Peat (@alanpeat) for nominating me for this challenge. The challenge is to think of 10 books that have stayed with you during your life because they mean something to you. I found this very tricky as there are so many books that I have enjoyed. Narrowing the list down to just ten was difficult. Anyway, here goes.

1.  1984 by George Orwell - I first read this book when I was about 12 or 13. It was the first book that I have read that oft me thinking about it long after I had finished reading it. Strangely enough, I think it was in 1984 that I read it which lead me to compare the reality of 1984 to the portrayal of 1984 in the book. Since then I have often been reminded of the book through Tv shows such as Room 101 and of course, Big Brother.

2. Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl - this book reminds me of happy times with my dad as he would read it to me when I was a young boy. I remember cowering in fear of the Vermicious Knids! I have loved Roald Dahl books all my life, especially now that I am a primary teacher.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - this was a book I had to study for GCSE English and as a teenage boy I hated it. When I read it later as an adult, I absolutely loved it as I was able to fully appreciate the wonderful wit of Jane Austen which shone through her characters.

4. Any Myron Bolitar book by Harlan Coben - I was introduced to this character by my mum who had already read some of this series of books. I instantly engaged with the wise-cracking Myron and enjoyed the adventures he and his friend, the somewhat psychotic Win, got up to.

5. Needful Things by Stephen King - When I had read this book, it made me want to read any Stephen King book I was able to get my hands on. In my opinion he is a master story-teller with many of his books crossing the bridge from reality to the supernatural and back again.

6. Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson - I read this book about a year ago. I had been interested for a while in finding out about the motivations of this fascinating character. Having read the book, I was impressed with his vision and his philosophy of aiming to design the very best products, unconcerned with the lengths he and his employees had to go to.

7. Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson - I really like the style of Bill's writing. The places he described came to life for me as I read his books.

8. Diary of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend - I read this book when I was a teenager myself and shared some of the feelings that Adrian describes. I had never read a 'diary' style book before.

9. One Hundred Days by Admiral Sandy Woodward - I became interested in military history when I was at University. This book is an excellent account of a very difficult military campaign as it happened. It inspired me to apply for Royal Navy officer selection.

10. Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - I started reading the Harry Potter books when I was training to be a teacher and loved them straight away. The Goblet of Fire sticks in my mind as I was reading it when I met my wife and coincidentally so was she at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment